Sunday, March 06, 2005

The Decemberists - And we'll all come praise the storytellers

Late, when you are trying to fall asleep and wipe away the two thoughts that hold tight to weariness - the expiry date of your job and your too much big and empty bed - the joy to hear fairytales from a storyteller peeps out.
When I was a child I remember there were those records with a voice that told about gnomes, sprites, princes, knights, dragons, and a lot of sounds, noises, voices of animals, from the wood, from the sea, thunders...... They gave me quiet, happines, fear sometimes.
This evening - relaxed on my bed - I have listen The Decemberists' new album "Picaresque", scheduled for march 22, and it has given the same joy to me.

Just starting the CD the dark room has become populated by the word-made characters and full of the figures painted in the literary lyrics by Colin Meloy.
As many fairytales, an animal (a kind of bird?) sound opens the first song of the album, with "The Infanta" carried on the back of a pachyderm, going with drums in a spanish march tempo.
In an unusually sunny and happy day R.E.M. meet The Smiths in "We both go down togheter", "The sporting life", "The bagman's gambit", "Sixteen military wives".
"Eli, the barrowboy" reminds me to Traffic's "John Barleycorn must die". So "(From my own true love) Lost at sea". This one makes me shiver.
Literary indie rock. Are The Decemberists moving toward progressive music?

A really folkloristic country band seem to accompaign the accordion in "The mariner's revenge song".
Anyway "The engine driver" shows that The Decemberists, by now, write popsongs with a personal and recognizable style.
Buy "Picaresque" here.
Here instead you can listen 2 song from the album:
The Decemberists - The engine driver
The Decemberists - (From my own true love) Lost at sea (removed link)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog! I also have a site about sem accordions
. You can check it out at sem accordions


Also, as a thank you for visiting my site, I'd like to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE DVD Camcorder! Just click the following link and enter your Zipcode to see if the promotion is available in your area!

FREE DVD Camcorder

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're right on track and not many people are willing to admit that they share your views. maggie grace lost is an AWESOME place to discuss LOST.

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of the evidence: disk eraser

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get rid of the evidence: hard disk eraser

7:44 AM  
Anonymous free country music lyrics said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my free country music lyrics site.
Have a good day!

5:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
[url=http://scsncwrz.com/wmlq/yhdy.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://nozguybv.com/mfsj/mbjt.html]Cool site[/url]

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice site!
http://scsncwrz.com/wmlq/yhdy.html | http://chqgmfjf.com/xqow/idxg.html

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I know this is kinda off topic however , I'd figured I'd
ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest writing a blog
post or vice-versa? My site addresses a lot of the same subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you're interested feel free to shoot me an email. I look forward to hearing from you! Great blog by the way!

my site free mp3 downloads

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home